Sunday 16 January 2011

Evaluation - 7

Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task). What do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?
Doing the preliminary task was an accomplishment for me, without doing it I would not have had the confidence to produce the final product for my main task. During the course of the last few months I have been working on this project and utilized many skills I have learned . For my preliminary task we were asked to make a short continuity sequence that included a conversation, someone entering through a door, and using the 180° rule and other techniques such as shot-reverse-shot. We were given time to carry out our planning, shooting and editing. For the main task we were asked to make the first two minutes of a film, and make it an opening, i.e. with titles, music, introduction of characters etc. There are many differences between both tasks such as the durations of both tasks.  The main task is longer and it required a lot more planning and consideration. We had longer to do it, but it was more difficult and time-consuming, so all-in-all, more challenging.   The preliminary task that was given to us enabled me  to re-touch on how to use After Effects and Premier Pro and that played a huge part in producing my final product.The significance of timing is something I concentrated on in this part of the assignment.
In doing the preliminary task I also learned that keeping the sequence simple was a significant issue as it would allow me to focus more on the techniques that I have used. Compared to the main task the planning for the preliminary was much more rushed and didn't really require a lot of  thinking.The concept behind it was quite basic, however, when it came to the main task I had to plan it in  detail  and focus on the timings, the camera angles, the plot, the theme, the genre, the script, the costume and the props.
Like the planning of the preliminary task, the production was also very rushed and didn't require a lot of effort. The ideas for the robbery in the shop was quite clear and the outcome definite , hence it did not require a lot of time.The idea and plot behind it was extremely simple however for the main task ( The Last Hit opening sequence)everything was organized and planned because I knew that every issue had to be planned in advance or the final product would not be finished by the deadline. During our preliminary task the editing stage was very simple as it didn't require a lot of editing and there was only one very simple effect but when it came to the main task the editing part was the most time consuming and the most frustrating part.Time limit played a major part and I had to make sure my editing did not cut out relevant material but was short at the same time.I had such conflicting thoughts on which shots to keep and which to delete and also I debated a lot about the time limit for each shot. However I planned in advance so I had enough time to get the editing completed. But towards the end I was slowed down due to technical difficulties but I managed to produce the final sequence on time.
 
Evaluating and reflecting on the preliminary task was fairly simple as it was short and a very familiar scene however for the main task a lot of thought and consideration had to go into it. I am quite pleased on the whole with it, but it has been a long and tiring process, with a few technical difficulties to tackle along the way.One of the many errors I had to avoid was imitating the many movies I had seen . I tried to flavour the opening scene with a uniqueness not seen before.
I think my preliminary project was very good for the time we were allowed to spend on it, however I did make a few mistakes, which was quite educational because it  meant that could avoid the same ones in the actual film task. I became acquainted with all the stages of film making in the  preliminary task,  and I am extremely happy that it resulted in an  impressive opening sequence that I am proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment